Marshall, TX

my 2 year was diagnose with shingle has never had chicken pox by has been vaccinated with the chicken booster.. is this possible. hasn't had a culture?

Dr. Cheryl Coldwater
Unusual: That would be very unusual. You need to have had varicella (chicken pox) in order to have shingles- which is reactivation of your own chicken pox virus. Since the vaccine is a live-attenuated vaccine, there is a very, very small risk of getting chicken pox and subsequently shingles, but that would not be at all common in a 2 year old who has been vaccinated.
It happens: I've seen shingles reported in kids as early as 9 months old and seen it myself in a 15 month old. It can happen to infants if mom had chickenpox while pregnant. It can happen to any child with even an unrecognized case of chickenpox. It happens at a lower frequency to those who were vaccinated than those with the wild virus, but the vaccine virus can be associated with shingles.