South Africa

I'm having nocturnal enuresis from clozapine. it's a real mess but i need to control it. can you tell me how long before bed time should i stop taking in fluids? i get thirsty a lot. so it's difficult

Dr. Austina Cho
2 hrs before bedtime: Studies show prevalence rates vary from .23% (aronowitz et al 1995) to 27%(centorrino et al, 1994). There are various causes including heavy sedation, seizures or polyuria from diabetes. It is best to get evaluated to see what the cause of the nocturnal enuresis is. You might try stopping fluids 2 hrs before bedtime, or get a plastic cover for your bed. There is also a pad w/ a bell that wakes you.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
I use DDAVP (desmopressin): My patients who have this problem on Clozaril have all responded to ddavp (desmopressin). Don't restrict fluids at bedtime because that and the Clozaril could lower you blood pressure to the point of passing out. Best wishes and have your doctor rule out diabetes and a urinary tract infection.
Dr. Austina Cho
Dr. Austina Cho commented
Yes, I agree, Clozaril can lower your blood pressure. It is best to get an evaluation and bloodwork done including a Clozaril level to see if your dose can be lowered or your med switched to a different antipsychotic. Urinary retention in the day & overflow incontinence at night could also be an issue. If Clozaril is the only med you respond to, then DDAVP would be a good tx for this side effect.
Oct 18, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Oct 18, 2013