A 21-year-old female asked:
Disclaimer

if you have gallstones how long can you go before having to get your gallbladder removed?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Daniel Para
30 years experience General Surgery
Varies: When you first have symptoms related to your gallstones (pain, bloating, nausea, jaundice, pancreatitis) you need to have your gallbladder removed. There is no alternative treatment. It is best not to wait until you are sick with gallbladder disease to seek surgical care.
Answered on Oct 9, 2013
1
1 thank
Dr. Gebrehana Zebro (formerly Woldegiorgis)
32 years experience Internal Medicine
It depends on: Multiple factor . Some of them is repeated gall bladder infection ( cholecystitis , having underlying medical problem , constant pain or other symptoms that interfere with day to day activities and more. If you have porcelain gall stone it has to come out
Answered on Oct 11, 2013
Dr. Fred Levin
45 years experience Gastroenterology
Perhaps a lifetime: Only 40% of individuals who have gallstones ever have symptoms which would require having to remove the gallbladder. The other 60% carry them to their graves.
Answered on May 4, 2017
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Related questions:

A 26-year-old male asked:
Dr. Robert Uyeda
45 years experience General Surgery
He should be: ok, as long as his condition is not acute cholecystitis. He should avoid fatty foods in the meantime to minimize chances of any complications.
1
1 thank
A 24-year-old member asked:
Dr. Yash Khanna
57 years experience Family Medicine
Gall stones: Gall stones if these are asymptomatic do not need to be removed.Cholesterol gall stones can be dissolved with ursodeoxycholic acid, sometime you can g ... Read More
3
3 thanks
A 35-year-old female asked:
Dr. Barry Rosen
34 years experience General Surgery
Only if Symptoms: App. 80% of people with gallstones never develop symptoms and need not have their gallbladder removed. However, once attacks begin, the only way to p ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 30-year-old member asked:
Dr. Robert Uyeda
45 years experience General Surgery
Your gallbladder : Needs to be removed, because it will form more stones. The disease is in the gallbladder itself, the stones are just manifestation of the disease.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month