Oroville, CA

Is the kras gene behind pancreatic cancer & mucinous borderline malignant tumors? my aunt died from pancreatic this yr & i had the mucus tumor-*stg 1a

Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
Two different types: Your aunt had the garden variety pancreatic cancer, your own tumor was different and it has a much better prognosis than your aunt's cancer. Ras gene is often mutated in pancreatic cancer but, as of now, it has no impact on diagnosis or on treatment of pancreatic cancer.
Dr. Myron Schwartz
Surgical Oncology 45 years experience
Not herditarily: Kras is mutated in the large majority of pancreatic cancers but the mutation is acquired, not inherited. Mutated kras may contribute to the progression of pancreatic cancer but it is not the cause. I don't know that the mutation is typically found in precancerous mucinous tumors.

Last updated Oct 11, 2013