OR

can a person live on nutritional drinks such as ensure for few months while having jaw/teeth surgery? want to make sure i am getting enough nutrition

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Get some variety: You could survive on nutritional drinks, but you can also make your own protein smoothies that are less sugary. These would also contain non-processed nutrients. Coconut or almond milk are good bases, with whey or pea protein powder that you can add frozen kale or berries to, etc. Also ground flax or chia seeds. There are also prepared drinks that are more nutritious than ensure.
Yes: Think of a baby drinking formula for the first 6 months.(sadly you will miss the entertainment of eating that they don't)these products are engineered to provide good basic nutrition and as long as your course is being monitored this should supply your needs.
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry 32 years experience
Yes, but...: Unfortunately, the marketers neglect to warn the consumers about the huge risk to the patient's dental health. These products are loaded with sugar. In my elderly patients and those on mouth-drying meds, it is not uncommon to see new root cavities after routine use of these "nutritional supplements." moderation means variation--no one food/item is a panacea, and everything comes at with a risk.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Making one's own protein smoothies that are less sugar-laden is a much better way to get through this time.
Oct 2, 2013
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry 32 years experience
Provided original answer
Dead on, Dr. Pappas. Couldn't agree more!
Oct 2, 2013