Auburn, WA

would both brain mri and lumbar puncture be needed to diagnose ms? have l side numbness, spasms around l chest, l leg spasms, t3/t4 lesion on cord foun

Dr. Walter Husar
Neurology 33 years experience
MS Diagnosis: Unfortunately there is not one test that can conclusively diagnose multiple sclerosis. There has to be multiple lesions attributable to the white matter of the central nervous system separated by space and time. Diagnosis is usually made with a combination of history, clinical. Examination and diagnostic testing. Mri usually demonstrates lesions and spinal tap demonstrates immune activity in cns.
Neurology 52 years experience
Possible MS: If you have a lesion in the spinal cord but not found in brain, the next approach would be to use spinal fluid, looking at possible oligoclonal bands and other immunological parameters. If negative, repeat brain MRI in 6 months. The sooner this can be confirmed, the sooner meds can start which will eventuate in control and protection. Would start vit d supplementation now, in any case.