frustrated but not depressed. lots of test results with little things wrong led my gi to diagnosis ibs & suggest different psych rx. should i take this as a hint - it's all in my head? sick of feeling sick.

3 doctor answers
Dr. Donald Jacobson
39 years experience Psychiatry
IBS is real illness: Ibs is thought to occur because of changes in chemical receptors that line your gut. You GI tract forms from the lowest layer of your brain as a fetus. This layer sloughs off and heads south, carrying all the nerve transmitters and receptors with it that are in our brains. This has led to a new name for the gut, namely the third brain. This is why psych meds are often used in ibs.
Answered on May 23, 2016
4
4 comments
3
Dr. Lynne Weixel
35 years experience Clinical Psychology
Yes, really good to make that point. In fact, the largest number of serotonin exchanges occur in the gut - a bit of why there are weight gain & stomach symptoms as side effects. We are quite interconnected with ourselves in our functioning! Probably with each other and the rest of life too.
Sep 28, 2013
Dr. Colin Sanner
19 years experience Neurology
I agree, very good explanation. I learned a lot from this answer!
Sep 28, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
Very good explanation here.
Sep 28, 2013
Dr. Petros Ayele
28 years experience General Practice
PLEASE TAKE MEDICINE: Yes you have to take medication to allieviate your stress, anxiety which are contributing for ibs. Make sure you should get follow up with your gi.
Answered on Jun 22, 2014
2
Dr. Jonathan Shedler
13 years experience Clinical Psychology
Not all in your head: If you are feeling sick, it's not "all in your head." you are having real symptoms. But mind and body are interdependent, and it is possible that emotional factors are contributing to/exacerbating your symptoms. If you are sick of feeling sick and normal medical treatments are not helping, consider seeing a psychologist to find out whether/how emotional factors may be contributing.
Answered on Nov 12, 2013