U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Top answers from doctors based on your search:

False negative gonorrhea test

A 25-year-old male asked:
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
What kind of test?: A culture is more likely to give a false negative result due to antibiotics. A DNA test is not likely to be affected. For good health - Have a diet r... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
A 25-year-old male asked:
Dr. Richard Zimon
Internal Medicine 60 years experience
If there is: no discharge the urine GC organism level will be vry very small thus a negative test is possible ..make sure you COMPLETE THE WHOLE COURSE OF ANTI_BI... Read More
Dr. Robert Douglas
Orthodontics 52 years experience
Yes: Antibiotics can mask an active infection. Repeat the test 5 to 7 days after the last antibiotic pill. If the course of antibiotic therapy is correct, ... Read More
A 46-year-old male asked:
Dr. John Berryman
Obstetrics and Gynecology 55 years experience
STD tests: Tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia are very accurate, and if the antibiotics were effective, a negative test for either is not a "false negative". If ... Read More
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
See below: Agree with Dr. B. You should also get tested for other sexually transmitted infections.
Dr. Brian Nguyen
Obstetrics and Gynecology 12 years experience
Latency period: If you were recently exposed to gonorrhea and chlamydia, getting tested immediately may result in a false positive because not enough bacteria have re... Read More
A 21-year-old female asked:
Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 57 years experience
Possible: There can be false-negative findings and the easiest way to prove this is to get retested. If you have been having unprotected sex and are symptomati... Read More
A 41-year-old female asked:
Dr. Bahman Omrani
Pain Management 18 years experience
Treat it as true pos: You can always repeat the dna based test and obtain a urethral swab for culture. The results would raise doubt over false positivity. Many females can... Read More
A 32-year-old male asked:
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology 45 years experience
False negatives are always a possibility, but after that length of time it's unlikely. If you are that worried about it, consider contacting your sexu... Read More
A 35-year-old member asked:
Dr. Joel Gallant
Infectious Disease 37 years experience
Not common: The only thing i can think of would be a mislabeled specimen, a clerical error on the lab report, or a contaminant in the lab.
A female asked:
Dr. Kent Childs
Obstetrics and Gynecology 30 years experience
Aptima: Since this test is PCR test it looks for the particles etc that bind gonorrhea so the volume shouldnt change the results.
A 26-year-old female asked:
Dr. Kathleen Mullane
Internal Medicine 33 years experience
Risky business: In individuals at risk of acquiring sexually transmitted diseases either through sex w/multiple partners or having sex monogamously on your part w/a p... Read More
A male asked:
Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 31 years experience
2 separate tests: Checking for gonorrhea & chlamydia requires 2 different tests for which specimens are obtained at same time. You'll need to ask your doc about chl... Read More