When should you see a doctor about a cough? I have had a cough for 5 days. It's deep in my chest and my voice has been going in and out. I know that colds can last for a week, but when should I seek medical attention?
I hope your cough has subsided by this time, but in answer to your question, you should see or call your doctor if:
1) your cough is purulent (you are coughing up thick green or yellow mucus)
2) you have a fever higher than 100 f
3) cough up blood or pink or rusty, frothy mucus
4) you are wheezing or short of breath or have chest pain
5) your cough has lasted for longer than 8 weeks (chronic cough)
6) consistent loss of voice associated with a cough
typically, a cold caused by a virus can last a week or slightly longer, but the cough caused by a cold can often take longer to resolve.