Doctor insights on:
Numb Finger After Injury
What could be the cause of a numb finger, without any injury? Something maybe happening to the nerve?
Nerve damage: Sensation in the body is governed by nerve cells which run from the spine all the way to the tips of the fingers. That is why damage to the spine can affect sensation even in a finger tip. In general, the further away from the central nervous system (spine and brain) an injury occurs, the easier it is for it to heal. A spinal disc, pressing on a nerve, can be removed to help in some cases. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Just out of the blue after carrying some bags to my car, I now have 1 numb finger, happened more than 24 hrs ago, still numb. Causes? How to fix?
Nerve issue: sounds like you compressed one of the digital nerves in that finger. Carrying plastic grocery bags is common way for this to happen. These usually repair themselves but it depends on the level of damage to the nerve. Minor injuries should get better in 24-48 hours, but more severe injuries can take weeks to months to fully heal, if ever. Try Advil 400mg three times daily to reduce inflammation. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why does your finger sometimes turn purple after a injury?
- Is it normal for my fingers to feel numb after carpal tunnel surgery?
- How to reduce swelling in fingers after injury?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Finger swollen after percutaneous pinning for mallet injury
- Swollen finger joint after injury
- Numb finger after cut
- Finger swelling after injury
- Talk to a hand surgeon online for free